HARRISBURG – The Senate Urban Affairs & Housing Committee, chaired by Senator David G. Argall (R-29), today unanimously approved legislation that would establish the Carbon Monoxide Alarm Standards Act.
Senate Bill 607, sponsored by Senator Pat Browne (R-16), would require carbon monoxide alarms to be installed in rental properties that burn fossil fuels as a heating source. For residential properties, the bill would require a disclosure regarding the installation of carbon monoxide detectors in the statement about a property during the time of sale.
Argall, a co-sponsor of the proposal, said this issue hits home to many Pennsylvanians.
“Many of us know local people who have tragically lost their lives through carbon monoxide poisoning,” Argall said.
Nationally, carbon monoxide poisoning results in nearly 400 deaths and 20,000 emergency room visits each year. This odorless, tasteless and colorless gas is produced by several household appliances, including water heaters, cooking ranges, wood-burning stoves, fuel-burning space heaters, furnaces, as well as automobile engines. When trapped in a closed space, like an idling car in a garage, the gas becomes dangerous, yet often undetected by humans.
The legislation now moves to the full Senate for its consideration.